At the Meeting of Environment Ministers (MEM) on 27 April 2017 the Commonwealth Minister for the Environment and Energy and the Environment Minister from each Australian state and territory agreed to:.
• Reduce the amount of waste and make it easier for products to be recycled.
• Increase the demand for recycled products, and create new markets for recycled materials.
• Increase Australia’s recycling capacity, and grow our domestic capabilities.
• Advance waste-to-energy projects, recognising the reduction, reuse and recycling of waste as a priority.
• Encourage waste reduction strategies through consumer education and awareness.
• Update the 2009 Waste Strategy to include circular economy principles.
Read the full statement here.